The Shit Can

Friday, November 24, 2006

Another cry for help

Well my current readings posts seem to stir some response from the cesspool and I've read some good ones on those recommedations. I pillaged some great old books at a good price from the local mom and pop and have been knee deep in musty old hardbacks for a few days now. Good times. Here's a few of what I'm reading right now:

We the Living by Ayn Rand
The Russian Revolution by Alan Moorehead (1st edition)
Soviet Politics at Home and Abroad by Frederick Schuman (1st edition)
Some Hemingway, because I'm trendy like that.
The Sword of the Prophet by Serge Trifkovic
Shadows Linger by Glen Cook
and I'm starting back into Shelby Foote's The Civil War series.

It is out of sheer morbid fascination that I got into Rand's earlier stuff. I've had to deal with some rather rabid Terry Goodkind fans on wikipedia. Anyone who knows anything about Goodkind knows that he is not just the author of some terrible fantasy books but he is also a raving, lunatic, egomaniacal Objectivist. So I just had to get into what made these folks tick. The entire thing is so simple and contrived it makes your head hurt. So I'm reading Rand's "fictional autobiography". The entire thing, like most of her other work, is just a big long rant because she was on the wrong end of history and wants to make her displeasure into a legit philosophy. Cry harder you shallow, socially inept, displaced bourgeois cunt-rag. Leave metaphysics to people who know what the fuck they're talking about. Like Hunter Thompson. Wait, what?

I was thinking of renewing my old subscription to The Nation but I miss Hitchens' crazy drunk ass. Reading the rantings of a mean, alcoholic, rouge, Trotskyist, hawkish warmonger just takes me home. I've got to get some of his new stuff.

2 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, fuck Ayn Rand. I hate that bitch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home